Spring has sprung

Spring has sprung
Roses at the Cottage

Tuesday 23 April 2013

When autumn leaves start to fall

Ole Nat King Cole is always on my mind at this time of the year. I can still hear his melodious voice singing:
Since you went away the days grow long
And soon I'll hear old winter's song
But I miss you most of all my darling
When autumn leaves start to fall 

One of the Barkly Gardens Oak walks
Autumn weather - it can be so perfect but with a crispness in the air. Clear blue skies, soft falling rain, warm days and cool nights. And then again it can be cold when heating and electric blankets are in order. In my opinion Autumn has it all! With the end of daylight saving the evenings darken early. It is as Nat sings "I'll soon hear old winter's song" but in the meantime what beauty as the leaves turn from red to orange before falling to the ground (unless you have to sweep them up - ugh).

A wall of autumn leaves - waiting to fall
What fun it is to swish through piles of leaves gathering on the path or pick up the odd 'perfect' one to add to a coffee-table collection. 

An 'evening' dress of swirling autumn leaves - perfect
And I love that creative local shopkeepers enhance their windows with autumn reminders. I worry that we are falling (!) into the American vernacular with the word Fall - When autumn leave start to fall! I much prefer the word autumn.
The long and winding road that leads to your door (well oak walk!)
One of my favourite Richmond parks is Barkly Gardens (off Swan, Mary and Coppin Streets) which has sweeping oak tree walks. This dog friendly park has everything - loads of running space for dogs - and children - a great playground and BBQ's - and even a yoga class!

Stretch two three four!
But most importantly it is here that I can walk along the paths swishing to my hearts content through the piles of oak leaves. It brings a smile to my dial! Do you like swishing autumn leaves (how do you say fall leaves) and where is your favourite swishing spot?

I love collecting autumn leaves to put in the house. The colours are wonderful. The shapes beautiful. Good ole nature - she always gets it right!
What colours. What shapes. Mr Rabbit looks pleased!
Bowen Cottage client comment: The beds are super comfy!

No comments:

Post a Comment