Spring has sprung

Spring has sprung
Roses at the Cottage

Wednesday 30 January 2013

On the Rocks!

My zany friend and artist Robyn Clarke recently had a sell-out exhibition of her current paintings entitled 'On the Rocks'. As she says "My present paintings are influenced by my immediate landscape where rocks dominate the countryside". Robyn lives with her equally quirky husband (!) in the pretty town of Woodend - just a 50 minute drive up the Calder Freeway from Melbourne. The Mt Macedon region is renowned for its rocky outcrops around the infamous book and film location of Picnic at Hanging Rock. 
Hanging Rock
But it was the Metcalfe Cascades (on the Coliban River on the Metcalfe/Malmsbury Road near Kyneton) that were to the fore in the exhibition and when I walked in I just knew which one was to grace the walls at Bowen Cottage!
Metcalfe Cascades (Flickr)
The Cottage colours - grey, green and white - just seemed to 'talk to me'.  And so I found myself with a rocky outcrop painting and I knew the just the right place to hang it. Down came the Ikea olives (!) and up went the Clarke Rocks!
Happily ensconced in Bowen Cottage
I recommend a visit to her website (www.robynclarke.carbonmade.com) and have a potter around it.  There's Earth & Air, there's Water & Fire, there's Assemblages and there's Still Life. In other words 'something for everyone'. Not only is Robyn fun but this gal has talent!

1 comment:

  1. beautiful work, congratulations to Robyn and to Jan for the post.
    I lived in a "rock house", my home, for many years - in the Woodend/Kyneton area and was captivated and enchanted by rock formations. I was forever drawn to "Hanging Rock"; I would take my small children and their friends, and over a period of years many friends, to "the Rock", they are magical, mystical and inspiring. We climbed & scraped in between, up and down, wonderful times. And indeed, the Malmsbury, Melcalfe and surrounding areas, all amazing rocks, beautifully captured by Robyn in her art.

    ReplyDelete