Spring has sprung

Spring has sprung
Roses at the Cottage

Tuesday 18 December 2012

Santa Claus is coming to town

You'd better watch out
You'd better not cry
Better not pout
I'm telling you why
Santa Claus is coming to town

I'm not sure he's going to make it after seeing his car broken down in the nearby suburb of Northcote - in the appropriately named Victoria Road! The Age reported that he has bought fun and laughter to those passing by.
Broken down in Northcote (The Age)
With electricity prices rising faster than Santa and his reindeer (or broken down ute) can travel it's amazing how many houses are now lit up like Christmas Crackers! Once upon a time it used to be just the homes in the Boulevard, Ivanhoe but I guess the traffic jams to see them persuaded others to start their own look-at-me celebration. We even have them in Richmond!
Richmond reindeer flying across the sky, Santa waving over a snow fence - and more
I recently received an email explaining another carol we all know so well. So in my final post for the year I've thrown in a history lesson. Religious history has never been to the forefront for me. But I found this rather interesting. From 1558 - 1829 Roman Catholics in England weren't permitted to practice their faith openly. As with all supressions a way was found to share by code:
Twelve drummers drumming 
(the twelve points of belief of the Apostles' Creed)
Eleven pipers piping 
(the eleven faithful disciples)
Ten lords a-leaping
(the ten commandments)
Nine ladies dancing
(Love, Joy, Peace, Patience, Kindness, Goodness, Faithfulness, Gentleness & Self control)
Eight maids a-milking
(the eight beatitudes)
Seven swans a-swimming
(Prophesy, Serving, Teaching, Exhortation, Contribution, Leadership and Mercy)
Six geese a-laying
(six days of creation)
Five golden rings
(the five books of the Old Testament)
Four calling birds
(the four apostles - Matthew, Mark, Luke and John)
Three french hens
(Faith, Hope and Love)
Two turtle doves
(Old and New Testament)
A Partridge in a pear tree
(Jesus Christ)
I must say singing this in the future will have a slightly different resonance!
My favourite nativity set - created by my grandmother in her 90th year
So whether you believe in Santa, Partridges, French hens or JOY may this world find PEACE in 2013


No comments:

Post a Comment