Spring has sprung

Spring has sprung
Roses at the Cottage

Tuesday 11 December 2012

A Magical Christmas Projection

Walking along Swanston Street the other night we came upon a most magical sight. The Melbourne Town Hall was illuminated as I had never seen it before. No warning. No fanfare. (No advertising - as usual!!) But there it was in all its glory (and it is a glorious building) with a moving projection of lighting covering its facade. We rushed to cross the road (watching for trams, bikes, cars and pedestrians) to join the small crowd gazing up in awe while using their smartphones to record and photograph this rotating 5+ minute projection of divine lighting celebrating Christmas. 
Dark and hard to see but I hope you get my drift
I snapped away but I think it is time for 'photography lessons'. Suffice to say I was very unhappy with the results. No problems I thought. I will just visit the Melbourne Town Hall sight. They are sure to have some great photos. Silly me! This was it!
Where is the magic 'sell' in this image?!
Thank goodness for utube - please please click on the 2 links, this one (long) and this one (short) - probably taken on a smartphone by the fellow standing next to me! It's one of the best displays I have ever seen in Melbourne. It was fun, it was colourful, it was clever, it was charming and it brought out the child in all of us looking up. 
Here he is again - telling a story I hope!
So if you are in the city after dark then make sure you stop and take a look (9-11 each night). Make sure you take your children and grandchildren. And if you can't find a child then take the child in you! This is what Christmas is about. It made me all warm and fuzzy! And to think we could have missed it. It certainly pays to look up in this city. I don't even care how much it cost. And the Town Hall either forgot or didn't think it was important enough to advertise it on their website. Pathetic.What is the world coming to.
The Richmond Town Hall projection

And finally, I read in the local Richmond paper that our dear old Richmond Town Hall - in Bridge Road between Church and Coppin Streets is having a 12 Nights of Christmas Projections beginning on 13 December. Local artist Nick Azidis (from Projection Teknik - love the name) has created a different image for the 12 nights and they will light up the Town Hall facade. It seems that projections onto Town Halls are HOT!

Bowen Cottage client comment: We have no suggestions - everything is perfect


No comments:

Post a Comment