Spring has sprung

Spring has sprung
Roses at the Cottage

Tuesday 16 October 2012

Melbourne's Petit Giverny

I've been fortunate to have spent time in the world-renowned gardens of impressionist painter Claude Monet, Giverny, in France. 
Giverny - the waterlily pond and the crowds (on a rainy day)
It had been on my 'must do list' for years and finally on a wet and miserable day I took my chance. It was wonderful, the crowds were thinner than usual thanks to the weather - I hate to think what it would have been like on a glorious sunny day - and it was memorable.
Looking towards Manet's home
For those of you who have been fortunate to visit and for those who still have it on their 'must do before I die list' then I encourage you to visit our very own petit version!  And it's right here in downtown East Melbourne (a mere hop, step and a jump from Richmond). Words fail me with its beauty. 
Inner urban Giverny with its own bridge

Located in the Conservatory of the glorious Fitzroy Gardens it will bring a leap of joy to your heart. 
What can I say
The colours, the choice of plants and the symmetary all combine beautifully. And to make it even more joyous is the choice of glorious music to really make your heart soar. Watching other visitors I was struck by their silence. The beauty is almost overwhelming.   
The mass plantings - divine
There is something rather wonderful about the intimacy in the Conservatory. So if you are looking for a little uplift for your soul then I can't recommend it more highly.

No comments:

Post a Comment