Spring has sprung

Spring has sprung
Roses at the Cottage

Monday 3 June 2013

Let sleeping dogs lie!

I received one of those 'share-with-a-million-people-emails' from a dear friend recently which I have to say 'tickled my fancy'! I'm a dog lover although I'm sadly without one at present - and I must admit I'm enjoying the freedom that it brings! 
The late (Santa) Lucia guarding the front door of the Cottage
One of the reasons for setting up Bowen Cottage as dog friendly accommodation was because of the difficulty I had encountered travelling and having the choice of either leaving my dog/s in the hands of well-meaning friends, or students of well-meaning friends, or taking the expensive route of a holiday at deluxe pet lodgings on the outskirts of the city where they were picked up and returned in their own Mercedes taxi! It got harder and harder to justify the expense so that I could take a holiday!

So when I received this email it struck a cord with me:
A man wrote a letter to a small hotel in a Midwest town he planned to visit on his vacation.
He wrote: "I would very much like to bring my dog with me. He is well-groomed and very well behaved. Would you be willing to permit me to keep him in my room with me at night?"

An immediate reply came from the hotel owner (read Bowen Cottage owner!) who wrote:
SIR: "I've been operating this hotel for many years. In all that time, I've never had a dog steal towels, bedclothes, silverware or pictures off the walls. I've never had to evict a dog in the middle of the night for being drunk and disorderly. And, I've never had a dog run out on a hotel bill. Yes, indeed, your dog is welcome at my hotel. And, if your dog will vouch for you, you're welcome to stay here, too."

Now I hasten to add that my lovely clients have never taken towels, bedclothes, silverware, pictures or any other parephenalia from the Cottage. And none have been drunk and disorderly (that I know of!!) And they all pay their bills before they arrive!

Let sleeping dogs lie!
I think the photo above which was included in the email certainly tells a story. I thought it was rather cute (non dog lovers might not agree!).  I'm always fascinated by our clients who describe their dogs in glowing terms when requesting accommodation (for them and the dogs!!) It's a delight to read them. Of course sleeping in their parents bed is an absolute no no in the cottage - we provide dog beds!

Dog owners who stay at the Cottage are fascinating. I loved this text I received recently: "Dogs went to the dog park this morning. It was freezing but they loved it. They met a lot of new friends and introduced us to a lot of the owners this afternoon who advised us on great restaurants and things to do. See it's worth bringing the dogs! They even know their way back to the Cottage better than we do."  The dog's names - Gnarls and Ella but we've recently had Tickles, Crash, Lochie and Duncan and Miss Daisy - and that's just the tip of the 'dog'berg when it comes to pet names! Heaven!

Oh and if you don't like dogs, or don't want to bring them with you then the Cottage is still terrific! After all with comments like this one why wouldn't you want to visit. "Absolutely loved our stay. So much nicer than a hotel. I will recommend it to friends and colleagues - with or without pets!"

No comments:

Post a Comment